Church History

Interested persons met for worship in the upstairs rooms of the Decker Hose Company in November 1893 and petitioned the Classis of Montgomery, Reformed Church, to plant a church in Johnstown. Property was secured and a contractor hired who laid the cornerstone on October 7. The church was officially organized on October 10, 1894. The bell, (which today sits in the courtyard), was hung in the belfry and rung weekly to announce services.


Another building was moved and added for Sunday school rooms. Fundraising made it possible to build the parsonage on Irving Street adjacent to the church. Through the years Youth groups, Boy Scouts, Ladies Missionary Society, Philathea and Calvary Classes, and a very active men’s Baraca Class met regularly. The church choir and orchestra enriched the Sunday worship. An anonymous donor gave a Baldwin organ in 1951.


Recognizing the need for expansion, a steering committee recommended that additional property be purchased north of the church and that a new building be erected. George W. Randall Company designed and built the new sanctuary and church office. The original church was renovated for a lounge, classrooms, a modern kitchen, and Fellowship Hall. The first service held in the new sanctuary was on December 15, 1968 with Pastor Albert N. Studley.


One of the bequests that have blessed the church was made by Everett Spawn, making it possible to have a Rogers digital and pipe organ installed in 2003.


Known as “The little white church on Perry Street”, we host AA and Al-Anon meetings, Vacation Bible School for the Council of Churches, a voting site, and frequent public suppers for fundraising and community outreach. This church is here to help humanity see Jesus and to carry out the divine intervention; “Not to be ministered unto, but to minister”. We serve God by serving others.


Our Pastors


John VanBurke   1894-1902

Charles VanWyck Bedford   1902-1909

Peter Stryker Beekman   1909-1920

Royal A. Stanton   1920-1924

Alexander McKinley, supply   1924-1925

Abraham Rynbrandt   1925-1928

Ernest R. Palen   1929-1932

Edward L. Swartout   1932-1939

Arnold E. Dykhuizen   1939-1944

Chester A. Wing   1945-1950

Leonard M. Braam   1950-1964

Albert N. Studley   1964-1968

Donald Wing   1970-1975

Jack H. Millard   1976-2004

Donald Pangburn, interim   2005-2007

Brian Dykema   2007-2017